Landscape Exhibition at the Windsor Art Center
On Saturday, May 12, The Windsor Art Center will open its exhibition of paintings by seven established, award-winning members of the Connecticut Plein Air Society of Painters. Out in the Open: A Connecticut Plein Air Landscape Exhibition, which will run from May 12 through June 23, 2018, will include works painted outdoors in inspiring places around this Save & Exit small state. Artists Zufar Bikbov, Jack Broderick, Laura J. Eden, Robert Noreika, Elizabeth Rhoades, Shauna Shane, and Marilyn Swift have created works in a variety of media that will be on display.
Opening Reception (free) on Saturday, May 12 from 5 – 7 p.m.
There will be a variety of artist talks, demonstrations, and workshops throughout the show at The Windsor Art Center, 40 Mechanic Street, Windsor, CT.
- Zufar Bikbov will demonstrate landscape painting. Pre-Exhibition Event (Free): Sunday, April 29 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Artist Talks (Free):
- Elizabeth Rhoades will discuss her approach to plein air painting in pastel, on Saturday, May 19 at 1 p.m.
- Marilyn Swift will talk about “Plein Air Painting: Its Challenges and Rewards,” on Sunday, May 20th at 1 p.m.
- Zufar Bikbov will conduct “Landscape Element: Painting Trees” on Saturday, May 26, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. This workshop is open to 12 participants. Fee: $125 plus $25 for materials.
- Robert Noreika will offer Fearless Fluids in Arcylics or Watercolor, a two-day workshop, on Saturday and Sunday, June 2 & June 3 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Maximum enrollment: 12. Fee: $250.
Artist Demonstrations (Free):
- Laura Eden, The art of Egg Tempera, on Saturday, June 9 at 1 p.m.
- Jack Broderick, Landscape painting in oil, on Saturday, June 16 at 1 p.m.
- Shauna Shane, Acrylic sponge under-painting, Saturday, June 23 at 1 p.m.
2018 Open Members Show
The Open Members Show was held in March at the South Windsor Library on Sullivan Avenue. Congratulations to the winners.
Click on the tabs below to view the winners of our recent shows.
2017 Open Members Show
The Open Members Show was held at the South Windsor Library, February, 2017. There were over 50 paintings in the show, which were juried for $900 in prizes.
Jack Montmeat, who juried the show, writes: ““Thank you to the Connecticut Plein Air Painters Society for both allowing me to preview this excellent exhibition of artwork of the beauty of the natural world, and for asking me to choose some works to be given awards. As I was walking through the gallery at the South Windsor Library, I was asking myself, what did the pieces that I chose to be awarded have in common? And I saw clearly that the artists’ depiction and rendering of the effects of water stood out.
See the winners of the show along with Montmeat’s descriptions of their work.
Thomas Atkins, “Winter Stream-Litchfield”
Jack Broderick, “Saturday”
William Hanson, “January Thaw”
In Elizabeth Rhoades’ “Passing Fjords,” and Jane Penfield’s “Rushing,” we see water in the torrent of action, with frothing bubbles-both works rendering this effect in the delicate medium of pastel.
Elizabeth Rhoades, “Passing Fjords”
Jane Penfield, “Rushing”