For nearly two centuries, Cape Ann (Massachusetts’ “other” Cape located 25 miles north of Boston) has been a destination for some of the finest painters who paint “en plein air.”
Throughout its four picturesque seaside communities, Cape Ann Plein Air will host its second annual week-long plein air painting celebration in October when the famous Cape Ann light shines at its very best. Organized by the Cape Ann Chamber of Commerce, seARTS, and Cape Ann’s leading arts and culture organizations, the communities will see 40 of the finest artists in the nation compete for over $17,000 in prizes and awards while raising awareness of all that painting en plein air is today. The work produced will be sold at the Grand Awards Gala on Saturday, October 14 at Rockport Art Association & Museum and continue through Monday, October 16.
Cape Ann, Massachusetts: Gloucester, Rockport, Essex, Manchester-by-the-Sea
We will do our best to provide complimentary lodging in private homes for artists from outside the area. Discounted lodging in local hotels and inns will also be available. More information will be provided upon acceptance and details will be posted on the website.
Application Process & Fees
Entries will be processed by www.OnlineJuriedShows.com from Jan 3-May 1, 2017. The non-refundable fee of $50 is payable when you apply online using a credit card or Paypal. Unpaid applications will not be considered for selection. Print your receipt for your records. Submit 3 color images of recent plein air work in jpeg format, RGB color. For best results, make sure each image is 72 dpi and 1920 pixels on the longest side.
Entering Your Images
Entry form must be filled out in its entirety. List sizes up to the nearest inch. Submitted images must not include matting or frame. Crop the photos to include only the artwork. Be sure your images are right-side-up.
Before uploading your images, make sure they are smaller than 4MB, but at least 1920 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi. Images should be in JPEG format, sRGB color space.
Help in photographing your work and properly sizing your images can be found at: www.OnlineJuriedShows.com/help.aspx
If you need help entering your images or are unable to, please email Help@OnlineJuriedShows.com or call 949-287-8645.
Please add Services@OnlineJuriedShows.com and Manager@OnlineJuriedShows.com to your safe senders list to ensure notifications are received.
Cape Ann Plein Air’s 2017 artists will be selected from all applicants by nationally acclaimed plein air painter
Shelby Keefe http://www.studioshelby.com
Selected artists will be notified by email by May 9, 2017, and the list will be posted on the Cape Ann Plein Air website shortly after selection.
Special events, demos, workshops: Details to be announced on full calendar at www.capeannpleinair.com.
• Artwork submitted for exhibit and awards must have been created en plein air, within the four Cape Ann communities, and without the benefit of photography between Oct 8 and Oct 13, 2017
• The mediums of oil, acrylic, watercolor, and pastel are acceptable for this event.
• Artists are responsible for framing all submitted artwork and bringing it to the display location. Frames must be in good condition, wired in the upper third of the frame and completely ready for hanging. No saw-tooth hangers. All framed works on paper, pastel, watercolor, pen and ink, etc., must be protected by glass or Plexiglas. White or off-white mats are recommended.
• All paintings must have the Cape Ann Plein Air 2017 stamp on the substrate.
• All exhibited artwork must be for sale. Artists set their own prices.
• All sales transactions are processed by Cape Ann Plein Air.
• A 40% commission on all sales is retained to benefit CAPA.
• Unsold paintings are the responsibility of the artist.